Project 3 Week 5/6 - Third Draft

Based on the feed back I received last week, I decided to redo my design and based it around an actual bridge like structure. I first started simplifying the section again so that I have a bridge like shape that I can work with.




This is the simplified section with two longer sides acting as the bridge. I then started to develop the bridge side first unlike the last two times in which i focused on exterior aesthetic first.


However, the school is still going no where as I couldn't get the shape I wanted.

And then I started experimenting with Artisan again in hopes of finding a suitable exterior for the school.



At last I got a shape that I am interested in developing after lots of trail and error with the shape. Note that the shape on the right was not bent at first but I did it myself to make it looks nicer.

In Week 6, I continued developing the design and met some design decisions. First is how the leisure space should be shaded, or should it be shaded at all.

 

Originally, I was going to leave the space un-shaded. However, this would make the entrance to the space some what difficult to make as the over hand at the moment is too low. In the end, I decided to extend the roof and cover up the leisure space, leaving only a single line of windows for the view.

Another challenge I faced was how to design a good stair case for the school. I thought about using the same kind of irregular shape and carve a staircase out of it, like Daniel Libeskind's Jewish Museum. However, this would make the staircase (Right) way too large and would minimise the floor space. I experiment with simplistic design with a gradual change in height. Unfortunately, the shape of the second staircase (Left) doesn't really match the theme of the school although it is better than the first idea.



Finally, I settled with a simple rectangular staircase which has a sense of modernism in it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog